Monday, October 18, 2010

The "KEY" to Surviving Breast Cancer


October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month
and let you know that Buttons and Bows has the most beautiful Handmade Pink Ribbon Buttons
available
HERE


Here is a closer shot of the Pink Ribbon Button on my project
(I distressed my button using ink & a sponge to give it a more aged appearance)


My daughter just turned 21 and I thought this was the perfect time to educate her about Breast Cancer Awareness and share that Early Detection is the " KEY to Surviving Breast Cancer ". I am hoping that an Easel Card will be easy to display and serve as a reminder for her to perform Monthly Self Breast Checks.


1. I used a large Tim Holtz chipboard key in which I painted a light pink, distressed the edges with brown ink, applied a layer of glue and sprinkled it with Dazzling Diamonds Glitter.

2. I dipped my seam binding in a pot of boiling tea to age it.

3. The Tag above and the photo below show how I used one of the new Hero Arts Cling Stamps "LEDGER" from ABC Toys & Crafts to create the layer that sits behind "The Girls Club" Crafty Secrets scrap. I colored on the stamp to make the lines red & blue, I then used a hole punch then using my stylus, I tore the holes to make my paper look as though it had genuinely been torn from a ledger or notebook. Lots of distressing going on there.


This Easel Card will stand upright because I have placed an Antique Keyhole on the inside. I purchased several of these at an Antique Market while living in Sicily, Italy. I first painted it white then I painted over that with pink acrylic paint rubbing off the top portions which allowed the pink to settle into the crevices and the white to show on the raised areas.

Now look closely at the photos below to see how I lightly colored directly onto the Crafty Secrets' images to create a PINK BRA and to make the lady in the lower left row have a PINK SHIRT & PINK FLOWERS on her HAT


CHALLENGES I USED
Flourishes Timeless Tuesday: Ink & Distress the edges
The Crafty Pad: Distressed or Torn Edges
For Fun Challenges: Something you purchased but haven't used (the antique keyhole)
Wild Orchid Challenge: Pastels
Our Creative Corner: Embellishments - the more the better
The Sisterhood of Crafters: BLING (I loved me some glitter)

17 comments:

Erin Smetak said...

Great card Justine! Love all the details (as usual)!

Pat (mspfd) said...

Justine, this creation is an inspiration. I love all the amazing details and your fabulous collage of wonderful elements -- what a gorgeous, flawless creation, my friend!

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Oh my, this is totally fabulous, Justine! I love all the wonderful vintage elements you have pulled together here to support this very important theme. And great idea to have it as a reminder to do the monthly self-exam. Just an amazing piece of art!

Darlene said...

Oh Justine this it TOTALLY FABULOUS!! Such a creative & meaningful easel card! WELL DONE!! Thanks for joining us at The Sisterhood! Hope to see you again next challenge!

Cecelia said...

This is amazing Justine! I cannot tell you how much I love this. I wear my Breast Cancer pin everyday during the month of October and my daughter wears a pink braclet (she is 8). I have also worked the Avon Breast Cancer walk the last couple years. This card is just beautiful!

Hugs
Cecelia B

Cindy Haffner said...

BEAUTIFUL job Justine!!

Cami said...

This is a most beautiful and inspirational card especially for your daughter who will proudly display it. This is such a nice way to be aware every day. Love all the elements and especially that pink key you drssed up! Very very lovely. Hugs, Cami

Lynn Mercurio said...

WOW...creative, innovative and all tied up in a very important message. Awesome job.

mrsk06 said...

Hey Justine! What a great way to get the important message about! I Love it! Thanks for joining in at the The Crafty pad this week! Hugz xx

Scrapcollectr said...

Beautiful intricate card.... Thanks for visiting my blog! I added a post script if u have time to swing by again. Have a wonderful day!
=D

Stef H said...

oh my goodness is this gorgeous! (just like you). wow!

no. we are NOT snowbirds. one house is enough to handle! and i'd miss the snow - lol - even if i don't go out in it!

hugs :)

Melisa Waldorf said...

Hello Justine!!! I'm am so very sorry it has taken me so long to get over here. As usual, I'm so far behind. Thank you so very much for all you sweet comments. They mean the world to me.

That button is so unique and fabulous, just love your project and how you glittered up that key!

My daughter is 21, and you would think, being a nurse I would have thought to do something like that for her. Great idea!!

Pat said...

Stunning card Justine, love all the elements and the gorgeous vintage look. Thanks for joining us at The Crafty Pad this week.

Pat xx

Dena said...

Such a pretty, artsy card! Love the sentiment, it is perfect for the Awareness month!!!
Thanks for joining the WOC Challenge this week!
Hugs, Dena

Karolyn at Paper Therapy said...

A-MAZING!! I adore what you did with this theme and all of the elements. Every last detail is incredible!! Love, love!

Sandy Ang said...

Such a charming and marvelous creation !

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

You are so talented! Do you remember where you got the button with the pink ribbon? I'd love to have some. New member of the pink ribbon tribe..
Sharyn