Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Flannel Flower instructions


Today's project was inspired by NINA's Inspiration Challenge
----> HERE <----

I'm so glad that creating your own Embellishments is so HOT right now! Makes me not feel so bad that I cannot just run over to my local Michaels and pick something off the shelf. NOT TO MENTION, my last two little jaunts to the states had me scratching my head as to why someone would pay for some of the items. SEE THAT BUTTON???? That IS my hot embellishment purchase from the states. Ok part of me was completely overwhelmed by having so many choices but HONESTLY, I purchased a pad of paper, 6 buttons, 2 packs of seam binding, 2 punches, 3 $1 stamps, and some $1 spools of ribbon. THAT IS ALL !!!!!!!!!! And to think, I've always thought I was missing out. Guess NOT I was thrilled with how fun and easy my homemade flower was to create. I simply started out with a scrap strip of OLD flannel, made a RUNNING STITCH along one edge, PULLED the stitch, TWISTING it as I went then STITCHED my Button on to hold it all together. OK and if you have severe ADHD like me, you don't even really make all the stitches. I kind of FANFOLD my fabric and PUSH my NEEDLE through all of the layers then HOLD onto the NEEDLE and that last end of the fabric, THEN PULL the STARTING end in the OPPOSITE direction. MAGIC!!!
CHALLENGES USED:
Crafting in Croatia: Inspiration
Creative Card Crew: April Showers bring May Flowers
The Crazy Challenge: Buttons, Bows & Brads (I used a button)
The Shabby Tea Room: Comforts of Home (FLANNEL, as I sit here in my flannel pj's)
A Spoon Full of Sugar: 3-D (I think that flower counts for sure)

...........Supplies I used.............
Stamps: Hero Arts (Truly Appreciated)
Ink: Tim Holtz (vintage photograph)
Cardstock: Stampin Up (bravo burgundy, pink pirouette,
Patterned Paper: DCWV,
Tools: Martha Stewart (doily lace edge punch), Spellbinders (Nestabilities circle)
Misc: button, scrap fabric, thread, DCWV (ribbon)

19 comments:

NinaB said...

This is just drop dead gorgeous, Justine. I love the handmade flower with its rich color! I feel like you too when I'm stateside. All the anticipation of going to a craft store...only to be disappointed by expensive prices or unimpressive selections. I think it's because of the internet. I can buy what I want online that I'm really not missing anything that Michael's sells. It is nice to be able to hold something in your hand before purchase, though :-).

Audrey Pettit said...

Very cute card! I really like your handmade flannel flower. Thanks for playing along with us at The Shabby Tea Room.

Handmade Creations by Stephanie said...

OMG this is just gorgeous!!!!!

Stef H said...

gorgeous! absolutely gorgeous. that flower is awesome. oh heck... the whole card is awesome!!!

don't you know..... the grass is NEVER greener on the other side? there are no bargains in the states and you didn't miss out on anything!!! bummer, huh! but it's ALWAYS fun to spend a little $$$$ on things we really don't need!!! and sounds like you did well - lol!

and yes, my floors got cleaned. - at least they look clean when the sun shines thru the window - lol!

when's the move?

hugs :)

Debbie said...

Oooohhh ... flannel -- so soft, yummy and comfy! I absolutely {adore} your handmade flower! The design of your project is just perfect for our challenge this week! Thank you so much for joining us in the Tea Room and I hope you can come back again on Monday for our next challenge too :)

Beth said...

Oooh, this is such a beautiful card! I love everything about it, it's so luxurious!

Love Beth xx

Nicole said...

So pretty! Love that flower. Thanks for playing along with us at at The Shabby Tea Room! :)

Danni said...

This is so pretty! and I just adore the flower!

Pat (mspfd) said...

Very pretty, Justine, Love your flower embellishment!

Charlene said...

No Justine, the magic would be finding paper that matches your flannel! ;) Very lovely card!! :)

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Wonderful, as always, Justine! I LOVE your hand made flower. I am really into making my own embellishments ad I love what you've been doing too!

Thanks for your comment yesterday about my vintage creation. I'm not on Facebook so can't get any of the freebies you mentioned, but I regularly cruise the free vintage sites and have a number saved, but I appreciate the tip anyway.

So happy you joined in the April Showers fun with the Creative Card Crew this week!

kado! said...

i love the button, I just love little touches like that!

Shell Shearer Swinscoe said...

gorgeous, your flower is just fab and that little button finishes it perfect


Thanks for joining us at 'The Crazy Challenge' this week!!

hugs shell xx

~amy~ said...

Hello...came here from Nina's blog...gorgeous card....love what you've done!!

kANNAdyjka said...

Very pretty-love it! The title of your blog is awesome!!!!

Nana said...

Very very prety card. Love that flower! Thank you for playing "Crazy challenge" this week!
hugs Nana

Cami said...

Absolutely beautiful card, Justine! I love that flannel flower you made...it's very striking and gives your card a nice vintage-y look! Gorgeous! Hugs, Cami

Georgia said...

Wow! Very pretty. Thanks for playing The Crazy Challenge.

Nana said...

Your card have made it in our top 3. Congrats! Please come and grab yourself a banner. :) Looking foward to see you again in the Crazy challenge!
hugs Nana