Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Takin out the Stash



Today I decided that I would create my very own Tuesday challenge and title it "TAKIN OUT THE STASH"!!! Catchy isn't it? Laura Frederickson used to have a stash challenge so I will run this by her so as to not step on any toes. I'll keep you posted and maybe you can play with me next week.

Ironically, I also stumbled onto the Crafty Secrets forum over on Splitcoast Stampers where my friend Carla was hosting their weekly challenge. She titled this week's challenge "Leftovers". The object is to us your "Table Scraps". You know the strips of DP, CS, the one eyelet or brad, pieces of ribbon or even parts of images that you have cut out when making projects. BINGO this was the Perfect place for me to play today. That "Secret" group of Crafty Ladies welcomed me right in and made me feel right at home with their generous comments.

I created this fun little Apron using a free template from Anna Wight. Every single item I used was a scrap that I had lying around on my table. The buttons and thread were the extras that Victoria's Secrets sends attached to pajamas. The ribbons came off of a garment tag. The little sentiment that I have tucked away in my apron pocket is by Crafty Secrets and had been cut from a booklet which was now floating around trying to get lost. I am super excited at how well I was able to create the appearance of a billowing or flowing 3 dimensional hem....... After I cut the Apron and pocket out, I inked and sponged the edges, then applied faux stitching with a red marker. Using the original pocket as a guide, I drew a larger, red pocket so that my tag would be able to fit into it. The edges were also inked but I sanded and distressed a little then applied glue and adhered it to my Apron. I placed the tip of my needle nose tongs into the pocket while it was drying to give it dimension. By doing this, the tag slides in and out quit easily......
I would love to know what you think of my little Apron. By clicking on Anna's name above you can download her template and remember to leave her some love.

REMINDER:

ABC Toys & Crafts has discounted EVERYTHING at 15% off (including Crafty Secret)

10 comments:

Lynn Mercurio said...

OMGosh, Justine...this is so freakin' adorable. Thanks so much for the link to the template. I love how yours turned out! FANTASTIC!

Stef H said...

holy moly! i thought it was a real apron! you are gooooooooood! if i told you what i do with most of my scraps you'd throw me out of blogland!

i was thinking about doing a color challenge on my blog. i love color challenges and i'm so not good at combing colors. but i bet it sure would help me!

yes. abie is my granddaughter. she's 11 and lives in kentucky. she goes back tomorrow - boo hoo.

hugs,

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!!! If you didn't know, you would have no idea that it was made from paper! Just fabulous! The dimension that you added by sponging the edges is great. It is so hard to believe that you made this using scraps...it is incredible!! GREAT JOB!!! :)

Danni said...

WAY too cute! So very clever!

Carla said...

Justine, I love it just as much here as I did over on SCS-it's just the cutest thing!!

Shauna K said...

awww this is so super cute!!! great job :D i might have to try and make an apron myself now! thanks for the inspiration :)

Handmade Creations by Stephanie said...

Wow I love this so cute!!!

NinaB said...

This is so cute, Justine. I will have to try this apron templ. And yes, I would totally participate in that challenge. I actually told my husband how I would love to start a challenge that uses only scraps or stuff you already have as ingredients for the projects. I think getting creative with limited supplies could be a challenge - it's perfect for us who don't have access to craft stores.

Pat (mspfd) said...

This is so cool. By the way, I left you something on my blog!

Karolyn at Paper Therapy said...

Holy crap, Batman!! This is DARLING!! I love how you sponged the edges of the apron to give it the realistic look like it's flowing in the wind!! This is just amazing - a Stash challenge is a good one, but I'll confess that I'm terrible about using my scraps - have several drawers full and rarely go back to use them. So if you want me to play along, I'll just let you know that I'll be cheating!! LOL